Houses of Carrboro
(Adding more text to houses weekly-check back)
View some of the historic mill houses that were home to the local
mill workers 100 years ago.
(#30-100 Carr St.)
These plain one-story, one-room-deep houses with triple-A rooflines
and rear ells preserve the character of the housing built by
Thomas F. Lloyd around 1910 for the laborers in his second mill,
later Durham Hosiery Mills Mill No. 7. The decoration of these
four houses on Carrboro's "New Hill" is restricted
to the diamond attic vents with cut-out pinwheel designs in
the gables. All of the houses have center hall plans. A primary
interior chimney accomodates a fireplace in one of the front
rooms and the northern room in the ell; an exterior flue serves
the kitchen, the southern room in the rear ell. Except for the
application of asbestos wall shingles and asphalt roofs, the
houses remain basically intact on the exterior.
(#70-101 Lindsay St.)
Chapel Hill Web,
the one-story bungalow with a gable front and a full-facade
recessed porch was very popular in towns and cities across North
Carolina from the 1910's through the 1930's, very few examples
of the type were built in Carrboro. Here, the bulkiness of the
boxy form is emphasized by the deep overhand of the eaves with
exposed rafter ends and by the large but simple triangle brackets
in the front gable. The most fashionable elements are the box
porch posts with recessed panels.
(#14-203 Weaver St.)
house was the target of a restorative adaptive re-use by the
same businessman who rehabilitated the house next door at 201
Weaver Street. In this case, the house is typical of the smaller,
one-room-deep type bilt by Thomas F. Lloyd for the rental to
his Alberta Cotton Mill workers. In spite of the decorative
front gable in which scalloped sawtooth and split shake shingles
are combined, overall the house is ery simply detailed, with
plain cornices and exposed rafter ends rather than molded box
cornices. Several bands of molding encirlcle the rather squat
turned porch posts. The rea ell has been enlarged to a wing
across the entire rear elevation.
(#13-201 Weaver St.)
house type popular in Carrboro throughout the first quarter
of the 20th century is represented by this one-story, two-room-deep
house with a tall hipped roof and center hall plan. Each of
the two principal rooms on either side of the center hall has
a fireplace, and each pair of fireplaces is served by a single
interior chimney. The decorative front gable with split shake
shingles lends some individuality to the form. Slender turned
posts support the hip-roofed front porch. A kitchen ell is attached
to the rear of the house. At the time of its construction, behind
the house there was a community grove with a barbecue pit and
a softball field maintained by the Durham Hosiery Mills. The
house was occupied for many years by A.J. Blackwood, who came
to Carrboro from Burlington, NC in 1914 to be superintendent
inthe No. 4 mill of the Durham Hosiery Mills. Later, the Thrift
family lived here. In 1980, the house was rescued from its abandoned
and dilapidated condition by a local investor who converted
it to offices. This adaptive re-use successfully preserved the
integrity of this house.
(#15-205 Weaver St.)
by carpenter Thomas Clark in the first decade of this century,
this house is typical of one of the varieties of the smallest
one-story, one-room-deep houses built for one of the Lloyds
as a speculative rental housing for Alberta Cotton Mill laborers.
Surviving virtually intact on the exterior, this particular
house type exhibits a single, cnetral entrance on the main facade
that opens to a foyer from which the two principal rooms may
be entered. Separating these rooms, behind the foyer, is a wall
containing a central chimney with a fireplace sering each room.
Characteristic of other Carrboro mill houses, the porch along
the rear ell has been enclosed. When the house was converted
to offices in 1981, a restoration of the exterior preserved
the patterned pressed tin roof.
(#16-301 Weaver St.)
the assistance of carpenter Thomas Clark, in 1910 Bennie Ray
built this house for his family, in whose possession it remains
today. Although modern amenities have been installed over the
years, the exterior of the house, one of the few two-story houses
erected in Carrboro's early years, has been carefully preserved.
Turned posts with decorative sawnwork and spool spandrels support
the wraparound porch. The raised seam tin roof, with molded
box cornices, returns and frieze boards, appears to be authentic.
There is an original one-story kitchen wing at the rear of the
house which has been expanded considerably with a shed addition.
many years, Ray operated a blacksmith shop on Lloyd Street with
his brother, Tom, and his son, Atlas. Three other children-Ada,
Nancy and Theodore- worked in the cotton mill. In a shop attached
to the rear of Ray's blacksmith shop, Coy Bowen made and repaired
wooden farm equipment. Bennie Ray was known as a hard worker;
when his business declined due to the Depression, he outfitted
a wagon and travelled through Orand County seeking business.
After his death in 1933, his son, Atlas, continued to operate
the shop until mechanized farming put blacksmithing out of business.
GO to Find
the BEST AIR FARES & HOTEL RATES!